[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 14:47:07 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> No Bert, the decoder does not need to know ANYTHING about the
> display.

Apparently, it does. From Ron's examples, to the HDMI spec, to Cliff's
real-world experience, to my own real world experience. In every case, the
decoder needs to obtain the display aspect ratio info, or the display
resolution in case of RGB, before it can output the image correctly. And then
still, it can be fooled, in analog cases (since these don't provide a two-way
interface), if you connect the display to an STB that was not configured
correctly for that display. The evidence is there, Craig. I offered a potential
solution for a limited two-way interface scheme for analog, based on the input
impedance of the display interface, but evidently no such interface standards
exist.

My conclusion is that VBI aspect ratio info is to help the display's own
zoom/crop/what have you features, which are applied after the fact. It is not
intended as an independent instruction to any random display, and it seems to
require first that the MPEG-2 decoder be configured correctly. And that's why
its intentions can easily be fooled, as Cliff clearly demonstrated. And, as all
my 16:9 digital TVs have also demonstrated, when I misconfigured the STB.

In order to support the sort of "no standards necessary" utopia you and the FCC
thought you had, you would need to transmit all of the MPEG-2 metadata to the
display, over the baseband interface. Or at least, the same information
contained therein. Which is not what is being done. In short, correct operation
of the display's own image accommodation tools DEPENDS ON receiving the correct
signal from the MPEG-2 decoder, for that particular display.

And even worse, the only two ratios accommodated in the STB-to-display
interface standards seem to be 4:3 and 16:9 image frame rendering, including in
the case of HDMI. RGB does provide many more options of display aspect ratio,
but it depends on installing the correct configuration for your dislay,
provided by the display manufacturer via CD ROM.

> The ability of the computer - connected to the display - to decode any
> random raster of video is completely unrelated to this standard. Once
> the computer is properly connected to the display it can do anything to
> fill that screen the way it wants to.

Yes, but this has never been an issue. It's obvious that once the display and
STB have been correctly interfaced, the source can do anything it wants. Heck,
even in the 1950s, a TV transmission could incorporate tiles of any aspect
ratio on 4:3 TV screens, or letterboxing or pillarboxing, to create an infinite
variety of image aspect ratios on those 4:3 screens. Big whoop. I never
understood why you put so much importance in that. This has nothing to do with
the argument that a reasonable set of display aspect ratio settings are needed
for TV-type STBs (which typically do not support CD ROM inputs for specific TV
monitors), especially back in the 1990s.