[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:18:06 -0800

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> ... The external box need only be set to 16:9 widescreen. That's
> it, You will never need to adjust the aspect ratio setting or use the
> aspect ratio accommodation features of the external box.

While this should be true, it doesn't solve a myriad of faults, even if the source device and the TV are interconnected through an HDMI cable:

1.  The broadcasters are not using AFD properly so even if the TV and STB (or other device) is processing properly, the STB might not know that it is non-square pixel.

2.  CE devices don't always know how to properly deal with the encoded media and fit it properly into the 16:9 space.

3.  Once the single coming from a source (STB, DVD, BD, gaming console, etc.) is sending a 16:9 image to the TV, the TV doesn't know what the media is.  This could be the fault of the TV or it could  be the fault of the source.  That is, the TV might not use the aspect ratio or display information provided on the HDMI signal or the source device might not be sending the information the the HDMI signal.

4.  TVs (or source devices, for that matter) do not have a convenient way to manually override any faults.  That is if the material is 4:3 and being displayed stretched in 16:9, there is no way to tell the TV that even though it is receiving a 16:9 signal, it really is suppose to pillar box it.

5.  AFD only deals with 16:9 or 4:3.  As we all know, there are a tremendous number of aspect ratios to accommodate.

I could go on.  If anyone has tricks or settings that can overcome any of these issues, I'd love to hear them.

Dan

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.