[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:16:58 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The decoder DOES KNOW whether it is expected to output 4:3 or 16:9
> (after the user sets this option, unless they are lucky enough to be
> connecting intelligent devices with HDMI, in which case this would be
> automatic.

So, why do you insist on circular arguments?

What I have been saying all along is what you finally repeated here. How can
you continue to sound like you're disagreeing, even after you finally
understood? Your original position was that no aspect ratio standards were
necessary and that STBs did not ever need to be set manually. Now, apparently,
you understand.

> The decoder DOES NOT need to now the display aspect ratio when outputting 16:9

Huh? The decoder doesn't need to know, because the decoder knows? That's
humorous. You don't see that "when outputting 16:9" *means that* the decoder
knows it has to output 16:9? You don't see that the 16:9 assumption on your
part is only thanks to the CE industry taking matters in its own hands?

> No analog here.

Then why go on and on? We have already covered the case of digital interfaces
with the display, where the display can signal back to the decoder. If you
aren't using analog, then OBVIOUSLY we understand why you might not need to
enter aspect ratio information into the STB. So, END OF STORY.

In the mid-90s, digital interfaces to monitors didn't exist, THEREFORE some
sensible agreed to options of aspect ratios had to be known a priori. That was
what the FCC and its advisors were clueless about, and what the CE companies
agreed to in spite of the FCC. Even for PCs, back then, you had to know what to
set the video card to, because DVI didn't exist.