[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:30:18 -0500

Thanks, John. You may have solved the problem.

I have a Sony BDP-S350 and the instructions on page 41 of it's manual are identical to those in the 370 manual EXCEPT THAT the section called "DVD Aspect Ratio" is missing!

The ability to deal with different aspect ratios on Blu-Ray disks is not mentioned in the 350 BUT IT IS in your 370.

I guess I'll only know for certain if I get a 370 BD player. #;^)

Incidentally, the box I bought does a lot of things for television experimenters. It is a world-over standards converter for all analog TV formats that have ever existed. Read the complete manual here...
http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/WC01_downloads.html

Thanks,

Cliff

On 1/2/2011 11:59 AM, John Shutt wrote:
Cliff,

I just looked up the manual for the Sony BDP-S370
(http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS370.pdf) and the 4:3 SD mode
coupled with the Pan and Scan mode (page 21) should do exactly what you
wish.

I most sincerely hope that your $1,100 solution was to buy a nice 16:9
set. It seems beyond silly to spend that much on an aspect ratio
converter to feed a legacy 4:3 CRT, no matter how nice that legacy 4:3
CRT was in it's day. $1,100 buys a lot of screen these days.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I bit the bullet and purchased an $1100 box that solves the problem.
It also does a lot of other very handy things for anyone working with
experimental television, but it still cost me $1100 bucks thanks to
the techno-snobs behind Blu-Ray who think they have a handle on
how the world watches television.

Cliff