[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 12:00:22 -0500

I chose the lowest cost Blu-Ray player Sony makes, looked up the manual, and it does have a 4:3 SD mode.

I don't know of too many 4:3 sets with HDMI inputs. They may exist, but if they do they are exceedingly rare.

What drove me to frustration was my Philips 16:10 Television that never seemed to understand that it was indeed 16:10, not 16:9 when displaying HD material from either the tuner or HDMI inputs.

When receiving SD sources from the tuner or composite/S-Video inputs, it knew its display was 16:10, and never distorted SD material if you displayed it with (set generated) pillars or when you zoomed the image of an SD 4:3 program that was letterboxed. The set still left a bit of black bars on top or bottom when filling the screen with the zoomed SD image from side to side.

But when playing HDMI sourced HD material, or when viewing HD programming from the tuner (ATSC or ClearQAM), it filled the entire 16:10 screen, and you had no choice to zoom, crop, or in any way alter the vertically distorted 16:10 image.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Right, except that he cannot instruct the player to set the display to 4:3. Unless he is using HDMI, looks to me like the BluRay player isn't being told. Even if he is using HDMI, the player might not support 4:3 displays anyway, for all I know.