[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 12:07:13 -0500

On 1/1/2011 10:46 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

So, now you assume that a "digital" TV is 16:9? Interesting.

Not necessarily. I am assuming that the external box is going to output
a widescreen signal; AND I am assuming that the display will deal with
aspect ratio accommodation. I have had both 4:3 and 16:9 Digital TVs;
for both the cable box setting is the same; dittos for the DVD player.
The accommodation takes place in the display processor of the TV.

Blu Ray hasn't been mentioned which has a defect in design such that
4:3 films on Blu Ray do not display properly on a 4:3 screen.

4:3 films on Blu Ray shown on a 4:3 display produce a 1:1 compressed 'postage stamp' sized image with black bars on all sides on a 4:3 display.

This is a BIG miss because it means Blu Ray is not both forward and backward compatible for all types of displays.

How expensive would it have been to include the means to expand the 4:3
film image to fill a 4:3 display?

Is this just some additional code in the disk or in the player?

Why did the Blu Ray authors choose to ignore the case of 4:3 film shown on 4:3 displays? If it's just some code, it can't be too much of a financial impact on the manufacturers.

Sounds like they are techno-snobs to me.

Cliff