[opendtv] Re: Popular screen aspect ratios

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:14:30 -0600

> Just one example. What if I wanted to create an image with 2.7:1 aspect
> ratio? Can I do that without standards? Heck no. Can I just blindly
> transmit that image, say over an analog interface, *even if* I assumed
> one of the standard options for number of horizontal lines?

In case this isn't clear enough. Your position that we don't need any image
standards, because we have MPEG-2 metadata, is what I'm again disputing.

Take a 2.7:1 super wide screen movie, transmitted to STBs and then to 2.7:1
wide screen displays. This should be allowable, right? After all, you said we
don't need any standards.

Even if ATSC could accept all possible MPEG-2 metadata, your "no standards are
necessary" position only works if every STB can be configured with specific
information on every possible display. Otherwise, the STB and display have to
compromise quality (e.g. zoom). Without knowledge that you have a 2.7:1
display, the STB won't be able to anamorphically squeeze that 2.7:1 image in a
way that the 2.7:1 display can unsqueeze to fill its entire area.

So, completely configurable STBs would be needed, first of all. STBs that could
stretch out images compressed by any random amount from any random size
container. And even then, a "no standards are needed" approach could result in
black bars or cropping or distortion being virtually unavoidable.