[opendtv] Re: Point-Counterpoint: Peter Tannenwald Responds To The Chairman : CommLawBlog

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:06:01 -0800

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 4:48 PM -0600 11/26/10, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>>
>> Where in my arguments do you see that I was only talking about data
>> broadcasting? The arguments addressed all kinds of broadcasting, including,
>> but not limited to, data files.
>
> First, Data Broadcasting does not necessarily mean "DATA" files. It means
> file based broadcasting; i.e. sending files that contain content to local
> cache in mobile devices so that it can be consumed on demand.
>
> You miss the main point, that Peter is talking about using the up to date
> transmission technologies for broadcasters, so that they can innovate and
> survive.

Most of us who had any interest in helping broadcasters innovate and
survive vis a vis data broadcasting have long since moved on to
mobile, wireless and broadband technologies unassociated with the
traditional broadcast infrastructure. After been burnt so many times,
the only reason to look at data broadcasting for OTA again would be
money, and lot's of it. Oh, and nothing coming from our dear
government, since they burnt most of the bridges to start off with.

Cheers
Kon