[opendtv] Re: Patent application on 8-VSB equalizer

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:14:22 -0400

Al Limberg wrote:

> U.S. patent No. 6,081,301, titled "DTV CIRCUITRY FOR
> MEASURING MULTIPATH DISTORTION BASED ON GHOSTING OF
> DATA SEGMENT SYNCHRONIZING SIGNALS", issued to me 27
> June 2000 and is assigned to Samsung Electronics.

Well, sonuvagun, it says close to the same thing as that later patent
application.

One thing you explain in there is how the middle PN63 sequence can be
used to detect pre-echoes to -53.7 usec. But then you minimize the
importance of this, based on measurements which, at the time, indicated
that anything more than -4 usec was going to be rare.

If matched filters in the new tuner designs don't take care of much
greater pre-ghost than 4 usec, it would seem to me that using this
middle PN63 technique in equalizers would be ideal for fairly widely
spaced unsynchronized on-channel repeaters. Because in this case,
there's no issue with dynamic multipath. The pre-ghosts are steady as
can be.