[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:17:35 -0500

Craig wrote:

> My wife and father-in-law still cannot master these
> simple "programming steps." So when they want to
> watch a DVD or tape, they call on me to push the
> buttons...
>
> Now imagine having DVD, Tivo, and VCR icons on your
> "set-top" along with icons for the TV channels you
> watch most often...

There are many different ways you can make this easy,
and fortunately DVD recorders which also provide DVD,
CD, and MP3 playback have helped. Some incorporate
hard drives too.

No reason why you can't provide an A/V preamp with a
graphic interface on the TV screen, to give more of
a PC-like GUI interface, for those so inclined.

I see a dedicated STB from a cable or DBS company as
being nothning more than added complexity, though.