[opendtv] Re: PR: Majority of New HDTVs Powered By ATI

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:30:38 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> There is a huge flaw in OTA  PSIP support that cannot
> be addressed adequately.
>
> Currently, if a viewer wants to see everything that
> is available OTA via a STB's PSIP driven EPG, s/he has
> to wait while her/his STB tunes in each station in the
> area and linger long enough to receive the PSIP data,
> then move to the next channel.  The Samsung in my
> office takes 30 seconds to scan 3 OTA channels, then
> promptly forgets the data when you exit the full guide,
> causing another long wait when you want to see it again
> 5 minutes later.
>
> The solution of course is to add a second tuner to keep
> the guide refreshed in the background, which could also
> be used for the PIP or DVR functions also discussed
> here earlier today.

I agree this might be a problem with PSIP *support.*

Back when I was still trusting my local PBS stations to
keep my DVDR clock accurate, the DVDR managed this quite
nicely with a single tuner.

PSIP could be done the same way. Update when the TV and
recording devices are off.

A second tuner might be okay too, especially once prices
have had a chance to drop. Seems rather brute force to
me, though.