[opendtv] Re: PAL; 405 line pictures

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:26:29 -0500

At 9:53 AM -0800 12/16/06, Dale Kelly wrote:
If I recall correctly, my original posting suggested that the PAL countries
superior picture quality was much more about these basic differences than it
is about the use of the PAL color system.
Example: in the U.S. system there is only about 3 MHz of space available for
luminance video after insertion of the color picture subcarrier, while in
Europe there is about 5 MHz available for video, which is *very*
significant. To this, add the additional 100 scan lines per frame and there
is simply no contest.

There is another difference between PAL and NTSC that makes a noticeable difference in picture quality. With PAL the color difference signals have equal bandwidth (about 1.5 MHz). With NTSC the I color difference signal is 1.5 MHz but the Q (primarily blue) is only 0.5 MHz. The result is that there is less color detail in blue and typically significant noise.

If you want to reduce this noise while watching an NTSC display, put on a pair of "blue blocker" sunglasses. You'll be amazed at how much better the picture looks.