[opendtv] Out of Office Until 8/16/04Out of Office Until 8/16/04Re: The old 720p/1080i argu

  • From: Leon Silverman <lsilverman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Jul 2004 11:45:54 -0700

I am out of the office and unable to retrieve or answer this message until my
return on August 16th. My assistant Jenny Coyan is also out. I will have a temp
in my office who can assist any immediate needs by calling 323-462-6266 x2441I
am out of the office and unable to retrieve or answer this message until my
return on August 16th. My assistant Jenny Coyan is also out. I will have a temp
in my office who can assist any immediate needs by calling 323-462-6266
x2441John Golitsis:
> The old argument all right...that article was from May
> 1998.  What Malone said at the time has not come to pass, as
> all cable companies that I know of are passing-through the
> broadcast station's native resolution.
Talk about the proverbial tempest in a teapot. This is far worse
than the hand wringing about modulation standards.

First of all, if an HDTV stream, and some extra stuff besides,
can fit in an equivalent 3 MHz of cable spectrum, compared with
6 MHz for the NTSC feed, you have to wonder what all this extra
room required for HDTV is all about.

Secondly, WHO CARES whether an HDTV broadcast is formatted as
720p or 1080i? Does anyone care? Are broadcasters making a big
deal of that difference, or do they want HD retained as HD,
rather than downconverted to SD? I suspect it's the latter
that has them up in arms.

Finally, any supposed difference in compression efficiency
appears to be minor, if one uses pulldown with 1080i. Didn't
Sony or someone some months ago have a new item about this?
They said something to the effect that 1080i can be made to
fit in an avg  10 Mb/s stream. This is from memory, so it
could be off, but certainly doesn't seem out of line.