[opendtv] Out of Office Until 8/16/04Out of Office Until 8/16/04Out of Office Until 8/16/04

  • From: Leon Silverman <lsilverman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Jul 2004 13:12:27 -0700

I am out of the office and unable to retrieve or answer this message until my
return on August 16th. My assistant Jenny Coyan is also out. I will have a temp
in my office who can assist any immediate needs by calling 323-462-6266 x2441I
x2441Doug McDonald wrote:
> Basically we [720p TV users] want HD delivered to us,
> in our homes, exactly the way it was produced. No side
> conversions. 720p comes as 720p, and 1080i as 1080i.
> Then we can choose which device we use to do the conversion,
> using the better one or ones. In my case, however, I can't
> tell the difference between 1080i converted to 720p in
> the STB (either Samsung or Motorola) and in the TV itself,
> with the caveat that I have seen little 1080i since we have
> no truly local 1080i stations yet. We did for a while
> have a Fox station that sent out 480i upconverted to
> 1080i, but now they use 720p. All the 1080i I have seen,
> a few hours, has been by tropo propagation.
Well, as an enthusiast, I suppose one might make a bigger
deal of minor differences. And even at that, as you say,
there aren't big differences.
But I was referring to the *broadcasters*, and their
insistance that HD be carried on cable systems as HD. Do
they care, whether it's 1080i or 720p? Or is this just
a pretext to create a problem with must-carry when no
problem should exist?

In other words, a smoke screen.

I mean, audio enthusiasts also insist on using single-
ended triode tube amps of 5 watts output, but that
doesn't mean that FM broadcasters must also use tube
electronics and single-ended circuits.

Bert\