[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Mobile TV's New Free Market Economy

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:51:50 -0400

Most media does NOT have to be ad free in the future.

I dislike watching ads and find various ways to skip them.  But I used
to take the opportunity to get up and make a sandwich or go to the
bathroom too.  I have no obligation to watch them and usually will not.

But that's the way the game works, and I like it that way.  With a TV
show non-paused but running in a smaller PC window during ads I still
see the darned things and, if they haven't cranked the volume, may even
be listening.  The shorter the ads the more likely that happens.

And product placement, banners, sprites, etc. will continue to work.

There is no reason for ad supported content to go away with the
Internet.  I don't know why people keep proposing that.  The rules
change, but not by much.

- Tom