[opendtv] Re: Opinion: Mass-Media Meltdown

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:49:32 -0400

John,

Here in Michigan they are basically extinct for three reasons that I can
guess at.  First of all, they were seasonal, second of all Michigan is so
far west yet still in the Eastern time zone that in summer it didn't get
dark until almost 10 PM, and yes, the sound quality was less than optimal.

They tried to fix the last part by using low power FM transmitters, so you
could use your car stereo. However around here they never did transmit in
stereo, which should have been trivial, so the sound quality was no better
than the little speaker.   You just didn't have to drive to 4 or 5 spots
before you found one that worked.

Drive-ins died because they were no longer economically viable when compared
to multiplexes.  And like street car trolleys, were much better when looked
back at in nostalgia than they really were at the time.

John