[opendtv] Re: One Out of Every Four Sets Sold In 2004 Will Be An HDTV

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:17:01 -0400

>As I've asked before, please name one product that has been counted as a "DTV
>Display" that you feel should not have been.

It's not that anything counted as a "DTV" has not met CEA's requirements
for the term; it's that the term is essentially meaningless.

- Can a counted DTV product actually receive DTT signals?  Not likely.
 Last time I saw a figure, it was only around 11% that could do so.

- Does a counted DTV product have a 16:9 screen?  Not necessarily.  As
of the end of May, 16:9 was in only about 64% of "DTV products."

- Does a counted DTV product offer resolution beyond SDTV?  Again, not
necessarily.  CEA counts even products that can display only 480i (yes,
interlaced) if they include DTT reception.  Even if they don't include
DTT reception, 640 x 480 4:3 LCD TVs are counted, if they have
progressive-scan inputs.

So, given all that, I don't find that the CEA figures indicate much --
except, perhaps, a move by the manufacturers of CRT-based projection TVs
to higher horizontal scanning rates (not necessarily higher
resolutions), so they can be counted as "DTV products."  But even that
tidbit is revealed more by the fall of "analog" projection-TV figures
than by the rise of "DTV product" figures.

I believe that the CEA research department is meticulous with its
figures.  I believe that are highly accurate.  But they are what they
are, and, as far as "DTV products" are concerned, what they are is not
particularly useful.

TTFN,
Mark