[opendtv] Re: Olympics picture quality

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:57:43 -0500

John Willkie wrote:
> This is news?  Wasn't the same problem reported by multiple viewers of
> multiple stations, and -- somehow -- you thought WICD was responsible?  That
> was nowhere near a jumpball, so your anti-Sinclair, Anti-WICD (a station I
> haven't watched in decades) bias continues to shine on.

Well, there is a special case here.

First, I have indeed been attacking Sinclair for not
giving us NBC here in Central Illinois in HD. I originally
chided them also for having pathetic power at 170 feet of tower,
though this was sufficient for me to get there SD just fine. Some
time ago they went to fill tower height (1300 ft) and a bit
higher power (a few kilowatts on Ch. 41), which is sufficient
even for basements here inside town.

They went to HD at the first millisecond of the HD Olympic
coverage, and therein lies the rest of the story. That is,
I had not seen ANY HD from them before the Olympics. Since their
encoder was untested on actual viewers, one could only hope that
it was set right. Now that we see that most of our local
problem, if not all, had been from NBC, I just wanted to say that
I now have a much higher opinion of Sinclair. Some (not all) people
on AVSForum had been saying that ALL of the picture quality
problem was local. That is clearly not the case.

With Sinclair now on the ball, we have two HD stations (ABC
and NBC) on the air, and two Fox stations ready or almost ready
for HD (one WAS ready but their transmitter broke Sunday, and the
other is awaiting the microwave, which was supposed to be here
today, but didn't make it.)

So as of Sept. 15 we shall have 3 HD networks, and hopefully by
October PBS too. This is big progress. Sinclair is not Nexstar ...
They (Sinclair) is making good progress in HDTV. Nexstar (our CBS)
is not: we are the 6th largest market not to have CBS HD: three of
the 5 above us are also Nexstar. They are the ones who should be
ashamed.

Doug McDonald