[opendtv] Re: Off topic: Researchers uncover potent greenhouse gas

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:16:50 -0400

It doesn't really matter what is causing global warming. If there is
global warming then we had better understand what the consequences are
and are going to be and do whatever we can to control our environment.

We know for a fact that asteroids and comets have pelted the earth in
the past and will do so in the future. I think we can all agree that
such and event can radically affect our world or even eliminate all
life on this planet.

And it is a fact that human activity has had NO causal affect on
asteroid and comet activity. Does that mean that we should not scour
the universe for these objects and look for ways to divert such an
object if we find one coming our way?

Same with the earth's thermostat. We are at a point in our evolution
where we can discern such global warming and possibly do something
about it. Hopefully we will come to the right conclusions and do the
right thing. Maybe we will make mistakes even bad ones but just to go
on blithely doing whatever we want with no concern and the empty
arguments that we don't have any affect and can do nothing is contrary
to the evidence of history.

We can do things to better understand and control our environment and
I think we should. For one thing we do know now that the present
composition of our atmosphere makes life possible and maybe we can
draw the inference that changing that atmosphere willy-nilly may
change that.

Bob Miller