[opendtv] Ofcom's proposed spectrum option

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:41:18 -0400

Ofcom is proposing to auction off 112 MHz of TV spectrum in 2009, in
their Digital Dividend Review (DDR). Uses for the newly available
spectrum include all the usual, and more DTT as well.

If the spectrum is to be used for DTT, then the standards must be
compatible with existing DTT.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3014

Reads very much like an FCC document to me.

This might be common knowledge already, but what I found interesting was
Table 9.2 on page 170. It shows how the UK DTT is structured. It's
similar to what I continue to propose the FCC allow here in the US,
except that I don't see why a separate entity to build the transmission
facilties should be required (although that does have its own
advantages).

----------------------------------
1. Transmission provider

In relation to DTT NGW and Arqiva provide all Managed Transmission
Services (MTS) and Network Access (NA)

2. Multiplex owners

There are currently six multiplexes operated by the following
organisations:

Multiplex   Licensee
1           BBC
2           Digital 3&4 (ITV/Channel 4)
A           SDN (ITV)
B           BBC Free to view Ltd
C           NGW
D           NGW

DTT is delivered by multiplexing a set of channels that are then
broadcast over relevant spectrum in UHF Bands IV and V. There are six
existing multiplexes.

One of these (multiplex 1) has been allocated by the Government to the
BBC under its Charter Agreement.

The remainder are licensed by Ofcom to the corresponding licensee. Each
multiplex operator (licensee) therefore in principle acts as a gate
keeper to spectrum currently necessary for DTT.

Multiplex owners acquire MTS from a transmission provider (who in turn
will need to ensure they have appropriate NA Agreements with the site
owner)

3. Broadcaster

There are currently in the region of 35 television channels broadcast
over the DTT
platform

Broadcasters acquire multiplex capacity from multiplex operators. Their
services include capacity on a multiplex which is broadcast from a
number of transmission sites.
-----------------------------------

Similarly, here in the US we could have, as a minimum, ABC, CBS, NBC,
Fox, MNT, CW, and PBS as the multiplex licensees. Each of which would
have their nationwide multiplex over which to transmit their own and/or
other content.

The availability of DTT spectrum after analog shutoff could permit more
multiplexes to be introduced, perhaps even some capacity set aside for
regional or local networks.

Instead, what we have here is sort of the opposite. We have the major
networks that each appear over one stream in one multiplex, in each
market (during prime time anyway). And then we have the multiplex owner,
most often not one of the major networks, that decides on any other
multicasts transmitted over his 6 MHz channel.

Let's ask the Brits, who seem to have figured out a good formula for
DTT, whether such a scheme is conducive to a successful DTT?