[opendtv] Re: Nokia - Mobile TV Forum - Home

  • From: "Mark Aitken (Work @ Home)" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:44:00 -0500

Inline response...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Miller" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 10:17 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Nokia - Mobile TV Forum - Home

> Mark Aitken wrote:
>
>>Coulda been us (U.S.)...
>>
>>http://www.mobiletv.nokia.com/
>>

> Of course you won't because of the concern for multicast must carry. In
> a few years that is going to look like a ridiculous decision IMO.

We have never (that is spelled N E V E R) been on the "must carry" multicast
wagon. We are certain of the value of most of our programming, and believe
that when most every American (yes, we understand that there will always be
some underserved members of the public...but it should be VERY few...) CAN
receive our signal EASILY, and the products are in the market place, the
real discussion will be "want to carry..please?"!

> I still remember, correct me if I am wrong, that Sinclair was terrified
> of showing Nokia's Mediascreen at the hearings in 2000 and Sinclair was
> the bravest. If you want to change things I think you have to show what
> is possible. All of it. All the benefits. The public will find out
> anyway down the road. OTA is going to soar overseas. The US public will
> ask questions why we have the worst modulation in the world. When the
> same family have cell phones that receive DTV with a one inch omni
> antenna flawlessly have to fiddle with a rooftop rotating antenna for
> 8-VSB it will get interesting.

We certainly were NOT terrified. Simply put, we believed that to bring
mobile/portable to the table at that time (when everyone was saying COFDM
provided less data band-width) would be a mistake, and chose to show
PORTABLE (I still have the bow-tie dipole mounted on the stand in my Lab)
HDTV at HIGHER data band-width. I had met earlier with Billy Tauzin with the
media screen in chambers, walked around and showed him the device. His
comment was (litterally) "When can I get one of those that fits my wrist?"
(I think he properly had visions of the Dick Tracy and a step beyond the
wrist phone...wrist TV). My response was "Give us DVB-T and it will happen"
(has everyone seen how small the latest DVB usb devices are?!?!?).
Unfortunately, too few in Washington talk in 'real speak', and I am afraid
it was brushed of as just another unrealizable dream...1946 for Dick Tracy,
50 years later coulda' been...

> Someone has dug a hole for you guys to crawl into and you (other
> broadcasters than Sinclair) seem to want to oblige them.

And what hole would that be...Hollywoods analog hole ;^)