[opendtv] No Ofcom investigation into YouView

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:03:39 -0500

If it's any consolation, it looks like similar squabbles are happening in the
UK. YouView appears to be the new name for Project Canvas, the FOTI initiative
in the UK. Their MVPDs, unsurprisingly, protested.

I'd like to know more about what "standards" issues even exist. Although it
would not be surprising if such relatively low cost Internet appliances as
Internet-enabled TVs would need a more stable set of standards than what the PC
industry has gotten us used to.

Bert

--------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3899

No Ofcom investigation into YouView

Ofcom has announced it will not open an investigation into YouView (formally
Project Canvas), under the Competition Act following complaints made by Virgin
Media and IP Vision.

Virgin Media and IP Vision submitted complaints to Ofcom that alleged potential
breaches of the Competition Act 1998. Ofcom also received submissions from 11
other parties, including BSkyB. The complainants raised a number of concerns,
including that the Project, to be launched as YouView, has not developed open
standards with industry and is likely to restrict competition between TV
platforms.

Ofcom stated that it would be 'premature' to open an investigation because IPTV
is an emerging sector and the impact of YouView on the market will not be known
for some time.

In a statement Ofcom said: "We do not propose to open a Competition Act
investigation, however Ofcom will continue to monitor developments,
particularly in relation to YouView's approach to sharing standards and its
effects on content syndication. If evidence emerges that the operation of
YouView could cause harm to viewers and consumers in the future, Ofcom may
reconsider whether to investigate."

"We have been clear throughout this process that YouView will stimulate
competition in the TV platform market and create opportunities for content
providers and device manufacturers. Most importantly it represents a great
consumer proposition. We therefore welcome this decision from Ofcom.

"In a market dominated by pay services, we are creating the only mass market
IPTV service that will be subscription free. All our efforts are now focused on
launching a brilliant consumer product for launch next year. We look forward to
broadening our engagement with wider industry partners over the coming weeks
and months."

DTG Staff 19.10.2010