[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:27:07 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> The point is not that COFDM can go to a higher bitrate
> but that at an equal or slightly higher bitrate it is
> still more robust than 8-VSB.

The point is, Bob, that your statement is unsubstantiated
and non-credible. I'll bet you that if you actually did
a test, with a 5th gen Zenith vs a current model COFDM
receiver, you would see what I suggested. Indoors, with
simple antenna, better dynamic echo performance for COFDM,
and better weak signal performance from 8-VSB.

Meaning, you can continue to receive a solid signal with
8-VSB even as you go away from windows or exterior walls,
where COFDM (64-QAM, 3/4 convolutional FEC, 1/16th GI)
will drop the signal sooner. When severe multipath exists
but no one is dancing in the signal path.

> And from there you can dial it down to whatever datarate
> and robustness combo you want.

True. With the way E8-VSB is defined now, that should also
be an option, although not at more than 3.3 b/s/Hz.

> If this was a horse race and COFDM and 8-VSB were nose
> to nose with a quarter to go yes Vive la difference but
> in this race COFDM won yesterday and 8-VSB is still at
> the starting gate. Why are we bothering with it at all?

You, and some others, continue to make these tired claims
from yesterday's information. We are where we are, and
that won't change. The good news is that the tired old
comparisons with the 1999 ATSC receivers are invalid and
obsolete. You carefully mentioned "in the 2000 test" last
time. I don't think you have a valid direct comparison
test for the here and now.