[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:46:23 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I have grown accustomed to the 16:9 ratio and think
> it will become the standard.  But I still would have
> chosen the nice 1.61:1 harmonic ratio if given the
> choice. (16:10 instead of 16:9)  I just think would
> have been more aesthetic and closer to my own needs
> as far as TV placement and wall space usage.

I think what you've done here is to change the
criterion used to determine the aspect ratio from
one of "providing a window to the world" to one of
"providing an object of pleasing proportions."

Indeed, there's no reason to believe that the two
criteria would result in the same dimensions.

We've received some new laptops with the wide aspect
ratio screen, and it's amazingly easy to get used to
them.