[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

Brian Park wrote:

High resolution in the foveal area, decreasing to low res at the
 > edge.

I have argued before that idea would also make sense for upscaled HDTV
movies (especially downloads) by having them contain more detail in the
center and less to the edges using non-linear scaling.  The action and
interesting parts tend to be in the center anyway.

I've previously posted the following image here illustrating this, but
will do it again.  It is a 1920x1080 image scaled upward from a mildly
warped 1024x576 image, less than .6 megapixels.  See:

www.trbarry.com/Genoa_1080_from_576.jpg

- Tom