[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:23:35 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This is a perfect example Bert. I NEVER said that they
> are all moving to one aspect ratio.

This is actually humorous, Craig. You're repeating your
mantra again. You must not have read what I wrote.

DTV, and now quite a few NTSC shows as well, *have*
converged on *one* aspect ratio: 16:9.

I pointed out, some 3 seasons ago now, that NTSC shows
were showing up letterboxed. Originally, NBC and PBS,
then also UPN. And in one example that didn't last too
long, even Fox (Boston Public, which evidently our
affiliate was taking from their DTV feed for awhile).

I then measured the aspect ratio and got two very
consistent results from two TV sets, for all of these
letterboxed shows: 1.55:1 on one set, 1.65:1 on the
other. Others on this same list did likewise, and got
results of 1.65:1 and 1.77:1. So although 1.55:1 is
14:9, I suspected I wasn't seeing the intended ratio.
I suspected the true ratio was to be 16:9.

I then measured the aspect ratio of some DVDs I own,
which confirmed that my TVs overscan fairly much. I got
2.1:1 for DVDs that were supposed to be 2.35:1.

Alan Roberts then confirmed that BBC digital uses
16:9, and not 14:9.

And here you still insist that 16:9 is not a de-facto
standard today.

Amazing.