[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:02:04 -0400

At 4:15 PM -0400 10/25/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>Since I'm familiar with Toshiba, I can tell you that this model is a 2002/2003
>model year TV, so it's end-of-line.  AFAIK, there's no replacement
>for the 04/05
>model year.
>
>Advent isn't a major name.  So that leaves Sony with ONE 4:3 model and Samsung
>with ONE 4:3 model.  Not sure if these are current model year
>though.  Nor am I
>sure that that these are the least expensive HD sets from each brand (I don't
>believe they are)

Circuit City has about 7 additional models.

Let's not get hung up on this. CRT displays are finally starting to
fall out of favor, and with them, it is likely that the 4:3 aspect
ratio will disappear as well. They will be replaced with a range of
"widescreen" displays with different aspect ratios, rasters and pixel
geometries.