[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:02:20 -0700

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> At 7:46 PM -0400 10/21/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>>TV and cinema content is not like a PC desktop,
>>where the viewer gets to arrange the content any
>>which way.
>
> Why not. Many people are doing it already, and I would jump at the
> opportunity to set up a graphical TV 'desktop (set-top?) that would
> be MUCH more friendly for navigation.

I chuckle at this, as our STB engine basically uses Nanozilla (embedded
version of Mozilla) for the OSD and video rendering. Other boxes I've
done work on do the same thing (other Linux-based STBs that is). Video
is merely an extension for the Javascript or other display script engine
(you need something beyond plain HTML to catch callbacks, update the
screen dynamically, and send commands down to the lower-level
components). It is not uncommon for the rendering core to be 50KB in size.

Obviously the problem here is that a remote is not the ideal input
device for moving frames around and resizing content windows (believe
me, I've tried).

Cheers
Kon