[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:50:11 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > My PC monitor has a 1.25:1 aspect ratio. How does
> > it manage this oddball ratio? Very simple:
> > distortion. It won't display a circle unless I
> > draw an ellipse (when it's set to anything other
> > than 1280 X 1024).
> >
> > For a PC, who cares. For a TV or a movie theater?
>
> I care. The reality is that your display is optimized
> for 1280 x 1024, providing square pixels that fill
> the available screen real estate. Yes, you can change
> scanning rates and introduce distortions; you can
> also adjust the vertical size to eliminate these
> distortions by allowing small black bands at the top
> and bottom of the screen.

First, I can't adjust the vertical height: this is an
LCD screen.

Secondly, I don't necessarily want a solution that
creates black bars, for burn-in issues with other
display types (e.g. CRT or plasma).

So the reality is, an aspect ratio standard such as
16:9 makes a lot of sense, and is becoming the new
global standard for TV. That's good.

I don't know that it's realistic to even let the pixel
count used in transmission go completely unrestricted,
in practice, because I keep hearing about receivers
having problems locking into certain modes. But I
frankly don't see a big problem in any of this. The
problems with sensible standards are politically
motivated by those with an agenda, not real.