[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:14:10 -0400

Keith Jack wrote:

> You're always adding new features or improving
> performance. Otherwise, the competition beats you
> to the punch for the next year.

But again, if the performance of the tuner is okay, then
the focus of increased CMOS density does not need to
be to make the tuner part acceptable.

So, if you increase density to add in more features, e.g.
to include the MPEG decoding or other features in the
same chip, then overall cost WILL go down. Greater
circuit integration -> lower production cost -> lower
price.

To say that higher CMOS density results in higher
temperatures and more power is not true in and of itself.
It only happens that way with PCs because guess what, the
clock rate climbs every time the CMOS get denser. But
that's just because the goal with PCs is still faster
and more powerful CPUs.

> You also have to look at the cost/performance/power
> curve for going to 0.13 or 0.09. Power may go down, but
> cost could go up.

If that were true, today's PCs would cost a heck of a lot
more than my ancient $4000 IBM PS/2 with 80286 chip.

Clearly, there's more to the cost equation than merely
the startup cost of going to a new die.

The simple fact is, within a short amount of time, this
8-VSB vs COFDM debate will be history. The only thing
that amazes me is why this is so hard to acdept. I've
been saying this ever since the RCA DTC-100, 1st gen
receiver, went for upwards of $550. It was the first
ATSC receiver to break the $1000 barrier. So-so
performance and  a stiff price.

Since those days, performance has improved bit by bit,
and price has dropped. With the 4th gen Linx, we finally
went around that second bend in the S curve, where
performance was becoming acceptable. Now we see prices
under $300, and predictions for STBs at $67. What's so
hard to understand?