[opendtv] Re: No ATSC LCD TV Sets in Consumer Reports

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:14:54 -0800

Stephen wrote:
>In Consumer Reports March 2006, there is not a single LCD
>set that has a digital tuner.  Several sets have digital cable tuners and
>have provisions for CableCards.

As a Quid-pro-Quo for it's approval of the Digital Cable Ready* standard the
FCC mandated that all such sets also include an ATSC tuner. This fact was
seldom mentioned in the CE trades until recently, when Sears and Best Buy
included this fact in their newspaper advertisements. Clearly Consumers
Union is simply repeating the set manufacturers descriptions, which seldom
mention this added feature.

 * = Also known as Digital Cable Plug and Play - which includes the Cable
Card slot