[opendtv] Re: Nielsen stats on TV in US households

On 3/22/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> This brings the percentage of German terrestrial households
> viewing DTT to 60%.

That includes PC cards and USB receiver sticks. I don't know that
Nielsen includes any of those stats. From how the Nielsen report reads,
it's seems unlikely. They only looked at cable and DBS households, and
acknowledged that some DBS households have more complicated antenna
systems than just DBS. That seems to ignore these other devices.

> By the end of December the DTT coverage was 75% of the
> population.

That's not all that impressive. DTT coverage here might easily be
higher, since all markets have had to include DTT for several years.
Coverage does not mean usership.

Coverage does not mean viewership. If you believe the numbers they
have 60% DTT and 20% Satellite and some percentage digital cable. All
I was doing is pointing out that the US at 51% is probably does not
have the highest percentage of digital TV households. If you think USB
sticks and PCI card use in the US takes us over 77 or 80% OK.

On the other side of the coin, HDTV (lack thereof) is becoming an ever
bigger issue. This article warns of major economic repercussions caused
vby the lack of Freeview HDTV.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2318

In the interest of equal time, how come you aren't wringing your hands
about that?

Maybe I am but the subject of this thread was percentage of digital TV
viewers in various countries. And I don't see why I should be worrying
over the plight of HDTV manufacturers whose imbicilic short term sales
policies has saddled the US with 8-VSB which has been no help,
actually a major hindrance, to unit HDTV sales IMO.

That is if we had allowed COFDM in 2000 the sales of HDTVs and the
percentage of their owners who used OTA and actually were watching
HDTV would be far higher. Maybe profit margins would also be higher.

> Wouldn't it be nice if the public in the US were freely
> buying DTV receivers like they are in the UK?

US buyers *are* buying up digital receivers "freely." It's just that the
US public largely seems to be happy to become impregnated by one
umbillical service or another, instead of buying these receivers with no
strings attached. Can't exactly call it rape when it's consentual.

Consentual ignorance is more like it. Consumers are not happy with
their current service necessarily, they don't have a choice as far as
they know.

How many 8-VSB receivers are being bought "freely" in your opinion?
That is bought by someone who knows they are buying one and plans on
using it. Someone who if given a choice of HDTV sets, one with an
8-VSB tuner and one without and told the difference would opt for the
8-VSB one even if it was $100 more.

Bob Miller