[opendtv] News: "place shifting" (was: TiVo Unveils Portable Transfer Service)

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:17:46 +0100

Hello,

Here's a variant: http://www.slingmedia.com/

"We're starting with what you watch on TV. If you're like us, you
subscribe to a cable or satellite service (how much are you paying in
monthly service fees?). You may have some favorite shows you capture on a
personal video recorder. You probably have a couple of TVs, and a portable
device like a laptop, cell phone or PDA. If you've got a high-speed
Internet connection, you should be able to watch your live TV or recorded
programs on your laptop, cell phone or PDA regardless of where you are.
We've built the SlingboxTM for you to do just that. It's called "place
shifting." What a VCR or PVR does for time, we do for location.
It's all about freedom. Your TV. Any Device. Any Location."

and: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/News_story_913.php

"Sling Media today announced its "placeshifting" TV device that it will
unveil at this week's CES 2005.
The Slingbox Personal Broadcaster redirects a TV signal from any cable
box, satellite receiver, or personal video recorder to a LAN or
Internet-connected notebook or desktop PC. It uses a Texas Instruments
signal processor and Windows Media technologies along with its own
proprietary stream optimization technology."

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx    |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Philips Digital Systems Laboratories   |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2    |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands  |
| Pager:    ++31.6.65133818     | Website: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/  |