[opendtv] News: Voom losing DTH battle

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:33:52 -0400

Advanced Television.com is reporting:

Voom losing DTH battle

Voom, the US HD satellite TV service from Cablevision launched last
year, lost more customers than it signed up in August and September.

The disclosure came in an amended filing with the Securities and
Exchange Commission, which is considering whether to approve the spin
off of Voom and three cable channels owned by Cablevision. Voom,
which competes with satellite TV giants DirecTV and EchoStar
Communications, had 26,000 customers September 30, compared with
28,700 on August 31 and 25,000 on June 30, according to the SEC
filing. "Through the end of September 2004, we had attracted fewer
subscribers than we anticipated and have lost more subscribers than
we expected," the SEC filing states.

The service, which has struggled to overcome equipment, installation
and operating glitches, continues to test and alter pricing,
promotion and marketing approaches and probably will continue to do
so into 2005, according to the filing.

Cablevision, the biggest cable TV operator in the New York City metro
area, had hoped to complete the spin-off by September but now is
aiming for the current quarter and has revised its filing four times.
The filing says Voom is considering scaling back its national effort
to target "specific markets in the country which we believe are most
promising" - referring to those with digital broadcast signals from
local stations that Voom equipment can pick up