[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:02:19 -0400

At 11:50 AM -0400 4/26/05, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>Actually, we were. We were talking about TV to mobile
>platforms, specifically, not about other services.
>For example, we were not discussing cellular
>telephony to moving platforms, nor were we discussing
>radio to moving platforms. Those other services are
>already available to moving vehicles on another
>slices of spectrum.

No Bert. That is what YOU keep talking about.

Get over it.

We are talking about DIGITAL BROADCASTING, not a monolithic
replacement for NTSC.

>>  Bits are bits...
>
>No, actually it's broader than that. Hz are Hz, is
>more like it. And it's been that way as long as radio
>has existed. Each service delivered over RF presents
>a different set of issues, with different tradeoffs.
>Delivery of TV signals is more difficult than some
>other services because much info is sent over a
>proportionally small slice of spectrum.

This is a legacy view of the world. It is no longer necessary to rely
upon separate, non-interoperable infrastructures for each monolithic
service. But the folks who have these exclusive franchises will
resist the shift to a digital bitcasting until they die.