[opendtv] Re: News: Those licenses will soon be worthless...

  • From: William Smith <wsmith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:34:15 -0400

Because DVB equipment is used to process the MPEG II at many levels
(including Cable headends and satellite uplinks)and is much more
available than ATSC only gear.

When we built WKPC-DT in 1999, we were aware of the PID conficts and
since DVB equipment was abundant and ATSC only gear is /was not.. it was
a simple matter to steer clear of anything below Hex 30 to avoid the
problem in the first place.

Right now I have three SD encoders at a remote location and I can put
any or all of those feed directly on our DTV system by simply PID
steering them with our muxes.

I also have cable companies who are doing the reverse and by staying
away from the lower PIDs it makes it a lot easier and they don't have to
  go to baseband at any point.

Never think of ATSC only when planning a plant.. We use ASI for the
distribution and go to SMPTE-310M at the last unit before the DTV
transmitter..

William
KET