[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:26:38 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It boils down to opportunity costs for the spectrum currently
> dedicated to the analog tiers. IF they can make enough ADDITIONAL
> money re-assigning that spectrum to digital cable and broadband
> services, THEN they will shut down the analog tiers and deploy
> various solutions for those who do not have digital tuners:

Right. And it appears that they are doing so.

> Keep in minds that hardly ANY of the HD capable TVs shipped to
> date have digital cable tuners in them. Only a tiny percentage
> have one-way cable cards, and virtually none have two-way cable
> cards.

Actually, almost all, perhaps all, new DTVs do in fact have cable tuners
(and demods and decoders). I don't know of any that do not.

What they don't often have, until now, is CableCard. So the digital
cable programs they can decode are only the unencrypted variety. In this
market, that means all channels, including HD, that are available OTA
are available unencrypted over cable.

Lack of CableCard support is probably due almost entirely to consumers
marching in lock step to the tune of the cable companies. But that will
likely change, with this new agreement between Sony and all the major
cable companies.