[opendtv] Re: News: The Real Fight Over Fake News

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:23:24 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If the congloms really do go Internet distribution, as you
>> propose, and assuming consumers are not half as brain dead as
>> you think they are, the consumers are the ones that will opt
>> for non-tethered distribution models. Presumably, that's what
>> makes the Internet model attractive.
>
> I've been trying to get this through your thick head for more
> than a week now Bert.

The untethered models that already exist today are FOTA and FOTI. Guess
what, Craig. You can opt for these immediately.

Did you see what Bob posted today on TV in Spain? Can you make a
connection? If consumers catch on to untethered, a shift in that
direction could also happen here. Broadcasters, congloms, and trade
journal scribes, have to get a clue, though.

You keep stubbornly sticking to your 15 percent half-truth, without
getting your head out of the sand (to be polite) long enough to see the
horizon.

>> The piece on the Pace cable STBs tells you that cable
>> companies are looking to drop the analog tier as soon as
>> possible. Maybe it's to offer more VOD. Maybe it's to
>> facilitate a la carte. I don't know. Fact is, thay are moving
>> for a quick transition, looks like to be completed within 3
>> years.
>
> Really?

Yes, Craig. "Over the next three years."

"The contract is for a low cost digital to analogue converter product
that will enable the transition to all-digital networks and will be
delivered over the next three years."