[opendtv] Re: News: Streamlined Cable TV in a Card

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:22:51 -0500

John Golitsis wrote:

> You can't use the exact same program guide as the cable company's set-top,
> but
> there is usually some kind of EPG in the TV.  Toshiba, for example, uses TV
> Guide software which is actually far superior to what I'm used to with SA.
>
> Sticking with what I know, Toshiba again offers a simple PVR upgrade for
> their
> integrated sets.  It's a hard drive that plugs into the TV's Firewire I/O.

Is there usually a monthly charge for these 3rd party guides? How are
they updated? Phone, or is it carried in the TV signal somehow?

Also, any idea what a Toshiba PVR upgrade costs?

The cable companies are offering PVR's (all HD capable) for less than
the old monthly price of a Tivo guide subscription so it would seem very
hard to compete with that.

- Tom