[opendtv] Re: News: Streamlined Cable TV in a Card

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:10:37 -0500

Tom McMahon wrote:

> Not only can't you use your program guide (which also
> means no PPV or VOD I would guess), but they also
> lack the PVR functionality that many cable companies
> are starting to offer in their leased STBs.  I
> explained all this to the FCC 5 years ago but they
> didn't seem to understand (or care).

Another option is that they agreed, but didn't think
the objection was pertinent. This might be a matter of
semantics or perspective, mostly.

To me, an "STB with integrated PVR" is nothing more
than a hard drive recorder with integrated ATSC or
digital cable tuner. So this should be part of the
tuner mandate/CE manufacturers agreement.