[opendtv] Re: News: Sinclair Stations To Air The Country Network

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 02:10:28 -0400 (EDT)

You did not get it wrong...

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "OpenDTV Mail List" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 9:23:15 PM
Subject: [opendtv] News: Sinclair Stations To Air The Country Network

Interesting...

Perhaps there is an opportunity for broadcasters to offer something
the MVPDs can't...

Access to new networks that may have a very difficult time gaining
MVPD carriage.

Recent news reports, such as the one I posted this morning, suggest
that the MVPDs are running into significant subscriber resistance to
increasing rates. The "old game" of adding channels and increasing
rates may not work as well for the MVPDs in the future, as it has for
the past two decades. So broadcasters might benefit from this
situation by providing an outlet for new content that parallels
existing cable content.

The following story seems to support the analysis above. This
obviously is not the kind of "local content" that Mark has talked
about recently, but it may be a silver lining in the cloud over
broadcasting today.

Did i get this right Mark?

Sinclair Stations To Air The Country Network
By Staff
TVNewsCheck, August 23, 2010 11:19 AM EDT

Sinclair Broadcast Group will launch The Country Network (TCN), a
country music video television network located on Music Row in
Nashville, on the broadcast digital tier in most of Sinclair's
markets.

Sinclair operates 58 stations in 35 markets covering 22% of the U.S.
television households. TCN will launch in October in 28 Sinclair
markets reaching 17% of the country, with the remaining Sinclair
markets expected to come on board by early 2011.

"Existing country music networks have all but abandoned the pure
music video format," said Warren Hansen, founder and CEO of TCN.
"Although The Country Network's agreement with Sinclair is our first
with a major broadcast company, several additional agreements are in
the works, and we expect to announce them shortly."

David Amy, EVP-CFO of Sinclair, said, "We are excited to help launch
TCN. We believe their program offering aligns perfectly with our
audience demographics and our local market footprint. Their genre of
music and program format should have broad appeal to our local
viewers. We are pleased to expand our digital tier by airing The
Country Network."

CobbCorp and Cobb, LeClair & Graves Partners are advising TCN.