[opendtv] Re: News: Macintosh and iPod Drive Apple

My PCs running Windows ?just work? as well.  My time recently has been
priced in the middle range of three digits per hour.

I find that the problem with PCs has to do with hardware.  Somehow, I don?t
think that the harddrive used on a Mac is inherently more reliable than one
used on PCs.  There is something to be said for Intel motherboards, which
apparently Apple is sole-sourcing from.

However, the argument tends to fall apart, since Macs are found most often
in environments where ?time has no value? like at home.  In environments
where time has money, like business, Macs have only significant penetration
in a few niches.

I have priced PCs versus Macs in the last two weeks without making any
assumptions as to preference.  PCs were 1/3 the price of similarly-equipped
Macs.  The cheapest Mac I found was $1,379.  The cheapest PC ? somewhat less
power than the Mac ? was $229.  Doing the same for a fraction of the cost
has value, too.

Of course, if all I needed a computer was for making home movies ?.  Nah,
that isn?t clear, either.  The XP box I bought yesterday has MS Movie Maker.
Which I will probably never use.

John Willkie

  _____