[opendtv] Re: News: Good news for their customers?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 06:04:26 -0500

 Perhaps Mediacom should use this statement in the notice
 they will be sending to their customers...we are raising
 rates again and the Chairman of the FCC thinks that this
 is good news for you!

I find it impossible to pick a good guy in any of this. And I find it
exceedingly difficult to make a bad guy out of the company that provides
everyone with the programming for no fee at all!

The fee is the ads Bert.

This helped make U.S. broadcasters highly profitable for the past five decades, and continues to make broadcasting profitable in Europe, without subscriber fees.

If Mediacom were truly concerned about its customers, rather than
keeping them tied to a tight leash, they should offer a "no local
stations" package. Like the DBS companies do (or did, I don't keep
track).

They cannot do this. The law requires that they provide local broadcast stations to everyone.

Give customers the option to save money and use an antenna for local
content. That would also give them better HDTV than they might have
experienced over cable. But, of course, it's much more convenient to
make the broadcasters the bad guys.

You obviously missed this entirely in the earlier post when I explained that I am force to pay for local TV stations (in my cable bill) even if I use an antenna.