[opendtv] Re: News: Fox Says Mandated PSAs Would Be Illegal

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:55:52 -0800

" The umbillical service companies, we have been informed from some
broadcasters, actually threaten to pull ads, or drop the channel, or
whatever, if broadcasters advertise [sic] their DTT service."

Speaking for Fox, are we?  Or are you speaking of all broadcasters based on
what one broadcast company employee (a well informed one, I might add) has
said on this list?

Has it happened more than once to that broadcaster?

Does that broadcaster have any unusual attributes as pertains to cable?

What other items were on the table between that broadcaster and the cable
company (Comcast, due for a haircut) when that happened?

These questions are important to understand context.

It's possible that it has happened to more than one broadcaster, and more
than once to one or more broadcasters, and it seems to be consistent with
the "cable view of the world."

But, I believe you are extrapolating from one data point, unless you have
undisclosed connections to broadcast executives.

Mobile won't be free?  That's premature to say, but I do believe that FREE
MOBILE will kill paid mobile in a heartbeat.

John Willkie