[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Sets Schedule for Next Round of White Space Tests

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 06:55:19 -0500

At 7:47 PM -0500 1/19/08, Tom Barry wrote:
Albert Manfredi wrote:
(I'm hoping that $ donated to a Congressman's campaign chest won't change the laws of physics. Even though donated $ do seem to affect the law of supply and demand to a huge degree.)

Those $$ cannot change the laws of physics but they do regularly seem to change the measurements of said laws. I'll wager the FCC again decides to not loosen up white space usage.

I think that whatever happens, it will be a win/win for the public.

The NAB and broadcasters have already conceded that licensed fixed point-to-point systems could share the broadcast spectrum. Thus it would be possible to operate wireless broadband-to-the-home/business services that could compete with the telcos and cable. It might not be possible to serve mobile devices, but there are alternatives that solve that problem.

Put yourself into the shoes of Google and the other members of the computer industry coalition.

If they can bypass the cable companies and telcos with big pipes to the home, then they need only figure out how to deal with the mobile services to provide a seamless broadband infrastructure. The mobile side can be accommodated with a cellular network built using 700 MHz spectrum - this spectrum might also be used for the back channel for residential services, allowing the white spaces to be used only for one way pipes to the home - this would be easy to control, and would make the broadcasters happy. But the mobile side could also be built using Wi-Fi. The white space spectrum could provide the big pipes to feed the Wi-Fi nodes of the network. This gives you a three leg network with some redundancy and potentially the ability to move bit traffic around congestion.