[opendtv] Re: News: FCC Sets Schedule for Next Round of White Space Tests

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:42:35 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Competitors are paying billions of dollars for wireless licenses.
> The broadcasters only pay FCC license fees that are measured in
> thousands of dollars depending on station size.

In Europe, not only would competitors equally pay billions to make
walled gardens out of the publically-owned broadcast spectrum, but govts
pay for the OTA TV infrastructure. That's how the dense nets become
affordable. Pretending that even more dense nets should be viable here
just doesn't make any sense. Especially true if broadcasters prefer
people to get hooked on umbillical systems.

So, convince me that it makes sense to effectively cut the TV spectrum
to even less than it has been reduced already.

> Why? The telcos have done it, and they paid through the nose for
> "their" spectrum.

And one thing you forgot to add: they charge you through the nose to use
it. Once again, there is a certain amount of logic to the notion that in
a democracy, people need to be informed. That's the reason why govts all
over the West (at least) support the idea of FOTA TV and radio.
OBVIOUSLY, businesses would prefer to grab that spectrum for their own
use. Just as obviously, "we the people" don't need to become blinded by
the private interests of businesses to the point of ignoring all the
rest. For the time being, FOTA TV exists, in spite of continuing efforts
to undermine it.

There was a very interesting column in Car and Driver recently about the
economics of toll roads, and the shady practices, even of local govts,
to force people to use them. You ought to read it. Very much the same
scam as this.

> The Gainesville situation with NBC is based in historical
> precedents and contracts between WESH in Orlando and Cox Cable
> in Gainesville and Ocala. Because of these contracts, the NBC
> network does not want to add an affiliate in Gainesville; given
> the fact that 93% or more of the Gainesville market gets TV
> from cable or DBS, why would NBC want to add another affiliate?

Perfect example of being blinded by the private interests of businesses.
I'd be so peeved at that sort of cozy arrangement that I'd make it a
point NOT to subscribe to cable or DBS. And I'd be writing letters to
whoever elected officials are letting this go on.