[opendtv] Re: News; Dish to Expand HD Roster, Offer 1080p Movies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:53:17 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The real story here is that for HD enthusiasts, OTA broadcasting
> is every bit as limited as it was before broadcasters went
> digital and HD, which was supposed to keep them competitive.
> Other than sports, broadcasters are still delivering the same
> stuff that was losing audience share to the multichannel
> services before HD was available.

Sorry, Craig, but that story was about DISH delivering the same content
that broadcasters deliver. In this case, a movie. Using a format that
(in principle, per the transmission standards) broadcasters have always
been able to use.

> Sorry, but I don't think you will find many true 24P streams
> coming from broadcasters. It's not the limits of the compression
> standard, it is the way in which they built their physical
> plants for HD. Any station that is 1080i converts EVERYTHING to
> 1080i for emission. Stations that are 720P typically convert
> everything to 720@60P. And both are limited by MPEG-2.

Seems to me that the MPEG-2 "limit" isn't the issue at all, then. The
true limiting factor seems to be in the internal broadcaster plants,
and/or in the files they are provided for transmission.

> From the original article...
>
>> Whether average consumers will be able to truly appreciate the
>> technical nuances of 1080p/24 delivery is open to debate, and
>> Insalaco admitted that most viewers are focused more on HD
>> quantity than quality.

So, it seems that we agree that the article had no news-worthy content?
I think that was my main point.