[opendtv] Re: News; Dish to Expand HD Roster, Offer 1080p Movies

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:13:30 -0400

Sorry, Bert.  Earlier I missed your point entirely.

Blu-Ray video needs to hold up in resolution and (lack of) macroblocking frame by frame for the entire movie. People will slo-mo the video, pause it, zoom in on it, etc., so I can understand the higher bitrate.

Apparently, conversion from 1080i30 to 1080p24 requires a specialized cross converter. The "cheap" one we have here at the station will only cross convert between 30i and 60p. (Miranda XVP-1801) It is much easier, apparently, to convert 1080p24 back to 1080i30 or 720p60 through a simple 3:2 pulldown. (All frame rates also imply the 1.000/1.001 versions but are omitted for brevity.)

But you have a very legitimate point that 99% of PBS programming would not be affected by 24p. We don't do much live sports, unless you count Ballroom Dancing.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

So why aren't OTA broadcasters making a big to-do about this "full HD" they already have, that anyone can already use?