[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:16:25 -0500

At 1:43 PM -0500 1/26/08, Cliff Benham wrote:
Whether you think so or not, a portable TV that can receive current information in an emergency situation is a necessity, not a nicety.

It is ONE of many sources of information. It is NOT a necessity, any more than cable or DBS are a necessity. There are two real issues here:

1. Is SOMEONE in your community providing the emergency information you need during a crisis?

2.Do you have the ability to receive this information.

Come down out of the clouds and remember that the original intent of a broadcast license was 'to serve the public interest, necessity and convenience'. Now, because so few radio stations are locally programmed, TV is the only good source of 'local
specific' information in an emergency.

This HAS NOT been my experience. In my experience radio has done a better job than TV in dealing with these issues IN THIS AREA. Your actual experience may vary based on actual market conditions.