[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:41:31 -0500

At 11:32 AM -0800 1/25/08, John Willkie wrote:
Perhaps you do not research it.

You are trying -- it seems -- to refute what I said while agreeing with it.
I said that NTSC pass through was permissive.  You agree with that now, and
use that to assert that NTSC must be disabled.

Not accurate John.

I stated that pass through was permissive and NTSC was not allowed in the message to which you responded. Take another look at it.

Then I gave you the exact source of the document that makes NTSC not permissible.

The CBA has continued to discuss this with the FCC. I got a message yesterday asking for help on the issue of the cost to include an NTSC receiver as well. The reality is that the cost is nearly zero, as virtually all commercial tuner chips provide this standard. Microtune sent out a press release at CES talking about the use of their chips in two of the boxes that are approved. These boxes have the NTSC tuner DISABELED.

John Willkie, who believes that the failure is one of advocacy by the CBA.
They apparently didn't discover the issue until after the rules were
adopted.  The word clueless comes to mind.

Funny John, but that word comes to mind frequently about some of the people who post to this list...